The Importance of Childhood Immunizations
posted: Jun. 08, 2020.
Following the immunization schedule recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics can help you protect your son or daughter from a variety of childhood diseases. Your child's pediatricians at Pediatrics of Central Florida offer immunizations at their Orlando, St. Cloud and Kissimmee, FL, offices.
Why You Should Immunize Your Child
Immunizations protect your son or daughter from contracting diseases that caused untold suffering and even death just a few generations ago. Today, polio, a viral disease that caused temporary or permanent paralysis, has been eradicated across the entire U.S., thanks to a vaccine developed in the 1950s.
Over the years, researchers have created vaccines that protect your children from measles, chickenpox, hepatitis, rotavirus, the flu, human papillomavirus (HPV), tetanus, whooping cough, mumps, diphtheria, and other potentially serious illnesses.
Immunizing your child offers these benefits:
- Your child will never become affected by common viral diseases: Outbreaks of measles, whooping cough, and chickenpox are on the rise in the U.S., as immunization rates decline in some areas of the country. These diseases don't just make children uncomfortable. They can cause serious illness, lingering health consequences, and even death. Immunizations use a small amount of an inactivated or weakened virus to give your child the antibodies he or she needs to fight off common viral illnesses.
- The entire community is protected by immunizations: Immunizations protect babies not yet old enough to receive immunizations or people who can't receive vaccines due to health reasons. When most of the population is immune, a disease can't spread to these unprotected people.
Are you worried about possible immunization side effects? A low fever, fussiness, and a little pain at the injection site are the most common side effects, and they all usually go away in a day or two. If you have questions about the immunization schedule or a particular vaccine, your child's pediatrician will be happy to discuss your concerns with you.
Prioritize Your Children's Health
Protect your child's health with immunizations! Schedule an appointment with the pediatricians at Pediatrics of Central Florida by calling:
- (407) 846-3455 for Oak Street Kissimmee
- (407) 933-5985 for Orange Blossom Trail Kissimmee
- (407) 857-2816 for Orlando
- (407) 891-0479 for St. Cloud
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.